Friday, June 11, 2010

The World Cup!

The World Cup is starting here in South Africa and people are running around in the streets in excitement. It really is infectious! Every page in the paper is about soccer and every commercial on T.V. is about the Cup. Yesterday there was a concert in Johannesburg to open the WC and it seems that everybody in SA was watching it.

Today SA will play Mexico at Soccer Stadium and everybody, including me, will be watching the game. South Africans really like blowing the vuvuzela, a plastic horn-looking thing. You can hear them blowing them from 5 AM to 9 PM and tonight they will probably be going for a very long time. Although I love Mexico and especially Mexican food, I really hope that SA beats them. If SA wins tonight is going to be really crazy; the following games will be crazier. I am going to a friend's house to watch the USA v. England game and cheer on my home country (everyone thinks that the USA will lose). Whatever. This is a very exciting time to be here in SA and I'm really happy that I was placed here. Take that Turkmenistan!

No comments:

Post a Comment